- About Us
- Youth Ministries
- Legacy Fund
- Greek Festival
Philoptochos means “friend of the poor”. The Greek Orthodox Ladies Philoptochos Society is the duly accredited women’s philanthropic society of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Inc. Established in 1931 by the Ecumenical Patriarch Athenagoras who was serving then as Archbishop of North and South America, Philoptochos has now grown nationally to over 450 chapters and is the largest Christian women’s philanthropic organization in the United States. Women who participate in the local chapter of Philoptochos are also automatically members of the National and Metropolis Philoptochos.
The dedicated labor of the faithful Greek Orthodox women of the Philoptochos Society across the United States promotes the charitable, benevolent and philanthropic purposes of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America by instructional programming, presentations, lectures, seminars and other educational resources. They voluntarily aid the poor, the destitute, the hungry, the aged, the sick, the unemployed, the orphaned, the imprisoned, the widowed, the handicapped, the victims of disasters, to undertake the burial of impoverished persons and to offer assistance to anyone who may need the help of the Church through special funds or solicitations on the local level.
The local Philoptochos Board holds monthly planning meetings, with general meetings scheduled, usually monthly, from September through May. A directory is sent to each member with the calendar of events and committee assignments.
For more information contact: Annunciation Cathedral Office at 713-526-5377 or e-mail: Philoptochos@agoc.org.